Monday

IN LIGHT OF RECENT EVENTS

This is something I've been very careful not to post on social media (aside from posts that come across my feed that I agree with so I share them). Its my opinion on same-sex marriage. Well, not my opinion so much as how I came to the conclusion of how I feel about it.
I've been trying so hard to keep an open mind about touchy subjects, such as gay rights, because I don't want to offend anybody, that I haven't listened to my feelings and given them any heed. When the Supreme Court ruled in favor of legalizing same sex marriage, I wanted to be supportive of it, but against it at the same time. I wanted to support people's rights to do what they want because they have their own agency, but I wanted to be against it because God did not intend for anyone to live that way.
So, I was conflicted, to say the least. The following Sunday morning, I had come across an article that made it seem like Elder Christofferson said it was okay for members of the LDS church to support gay marriage. Wanting to be open-minded and not offend anyone, I shared it, still unsure of what I was really feeling about the subject.
Throughout the entire day, I could not figure out what I wanted to believe about gay marriage. I didn't feel right. My mind and my heart were in a battle and it was difficult. I had a few comments on that post from supporters and non-supporters alike--some in particular from my friend Ashley, who is very passionate about her beliefs on the subject. She is very much against gay marriage. She helped me to realize that it is okay to be against the movement. (I deleted the post, so i don't have any of the comments she left.)
It took me all day and some of the next to finally realize I was feeling so conflicted because I know the act of being gay is wrong, therefore gay marriage is wrong. It is against everything I believe in. Now, I'm not going to go out and publicly shame those who practice it. What they do in their private lives does not concern me, and I don't need to butt in and tell them they're going to hell. That's not my place. But I can stand my ground, practice my beliefs, love those who surround me, and be the best example of Christ that I can. Because I fall short every day, I know I have absolutely no reason to judge my brothers and sisters. We are all God's children. He has given us this free country to live as we choose.
So let's live and let love.

No comments: